Are you aware that businesses must meet several requirements to comply with local and international tax regulations? This article examines the Tax Residence Certificate (TRC) or Tax Domicile Certificate (TDC).

What is a Tax Residency Certificate?

For a TRC to be granted, a legal entity must have existed for at least one year. In addition, an audited financial report must be attached to the application. If requested, the audit report must include the past year.

Note: Due to the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement, offshore companies are not eligible to apply for the TRC

How Can I Get a Tax Residency Certificate in Dubai or the UAE?

Tax residency certificates are not exclusively for entities; individuals living in the UAE can also obtain them. For people from countries like the United States that don't have a double tax avoidance treaty with the UAE, it's especially beneficial. Obtaining a TDC confirms a person's or legal entity's resident status in the UAE.

The process for obtaining a tax residency certificate differs depending on whether it is for an individual or a company, but both groups are subject to several requirements.

To apply for TRC status, the Company (formally known as Legal Person) must submit the following documents:

  • An attachment containing a copy of the trade license and the directors'/shareholders' contact information.
  • An official establishment certificate (if it is not a sole proprietorship).
  • A copy of the passports of the owners/partners/directors of the legal person
  • Emirates IDs of owners/partners/directors of the legal entity
  • Permits of residence of the owners/partners/directors of the legal entity
  • An audited financial statement certified by the auditor
  • Bank statements from a UAE bank for the past 6 months.
  • Copies of the lease agreement that have been certified.
  • Please provide tax forms (if any) from the country to which the certificate will be submitted. Tax forms that require FTA signatures and stamps must be submitted to FTA in their original form.

Applicants who are government entities:

  • An original copy of the Decree or Certificate of Incorporation.
  • Letter of request from the government entity (the person).

The Ministry of Finance will conduct the compliance procedure upon receiving the documents and applications, and the Tax Residency Certificate will follow within two to three weeks.

Need Help Getting the Certificate?

With exceptional experience in tax planning and complying with Economic Substance Requirements in the UAE, AMCA offers outstanding services.

Among our services are the following:

  • Filing, completing, and submitting all legal documents
  • Providing assistance with all tax requirements
  • Choosing the proper tax structure for your business in the UAE (offshore, free zone, or mainland)

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are interested in any of these services.

Enquire Now Enquire Now